7 Free unlimited VPNs for 2021 (and how to use them?)
You are worried that your browsing data is being monitored by your ISP, government or others or you simply want to visit a site which is censored at wherever you are. You come to know that VPN will do the job and decide to search if there is any "free vpn" available. Fortunately, your search engine brings what you were looking for. You visit the page and start reading, only to find that they are talking about the free trials or even worse, about paid VPNs instead of free unlimited VPN options.
Representative Image from Proton VPN
Don`t worry! You are not alone. A lot of people are frustrated with these types of articles. That`s why we have decided to write this article whose sole purpose is to provide information on 100 percent free VPN with no data limits. Yes, all the VPN providers mentioned in this article are free without any limits on how much data you can browse in a day or in a month.
If your main concern is to access geo-restricted web content then all of these free VPN services are great. However if you are using a VPN for privacy or security reason, then you have to be a bit selective. You should be aware of the fact that by using a VPN, you are just transferring your privacy from your ISP to the VPN provider. And in terms of monitoring your internet traffic, paid and free VPNs are no different. While free VPN works for unblocking censored web content, you should expect some limitations such as privacy, choice of server locations and non-uniform server performance depending on the time of the day and how crowded the server is etc.
We have prepared the below list with our extensive research and experience. Based on our this, SoftEther is our number one choice due to various reasons including the use of multiple VPN protocols, easy to install and use, acceptable performance quality, a number of volunteer maintained servers, developed by an education institution etc.
Pros & cons of free unlimited VPNs
Unlike many articles on the top of the search results would suggest you to have a paid VPN service, we would like to recommend you to try all (or at least most) of the unlimited free options mentioned below, become familiar with a few and stick with them. While the advantage of no-cost no-data-limit VPNs is obviously the economic benefit, the main negative aspect of these free VPNs we have found is the unreliable server speed, mainly at peak hours (though not always) and non-continuous server operation for some VPN services. The solution to this is to switch to another server or entirely switching to another VPN on the list at those times.
Other than this, there are no major drawbacks except unexpected loss of connection to the server and refusal of connection to the server at times for a few ones. We have also found that some not-well-known server providers can take down the server after some days which could cause connection problems.
Beside these minor issues, you can enjoy a smooth limitless VPN at no cost from these providers. There is absolutely no need to buy a paid VPN service when a free VPN can unblock the geo-blocked websites with an ability to hide your internet traffic from your ISP.
- SoftEther: Fully free unlimited VPN by a reputed educational organization
- Psiphon: Reliable connection comparable to a paid plan
- Urban VPN: Fair speed with a lot of server locations
- Proton VPN: Well known VPN provider having an easy to use app GUI
- Outline VPN: Simple to use app from the mighty Google
- Windows Built-in VPN: Enjoy uncensored web browsing without installing any app
- VeePN: Just add an extension to the browser. You are all set
Note: You can visit What is My IP Address tool, take note of you real IP address before connecting to a VPN and also after connecting to it. If they are different, then you are successfully connected to the VPN.
2021 List of Free unlimited VPNs
1. SoftEther VPN
Our experience with SoftEther is good so far except that sometimes the speed is a bit slower which could be because of the overcrowding of the servers (which are maintained by volunteers) when a lot of people starts using the same server in quick succession. This happens mainly in busy hours not necessarily in your timezone since these servers are spread throughout various countries, mainly from Japan.
Other than this, there is no noticeable issues with this free unlimited VPN itself.
Features of SoftEther VPN:
- Available for Windows (Vista onwards), Android, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Linux and Windows Mobile
- Supports Multiple protocols like OpenVPN, IPSec, L2TP, MS-SSTP, L2TPv3, EtherIP and SSL-VPN (HTTPS)
- You can use SoftEther VPN without installing any app for Android
- Based on an University academic project
How to install & use SoftEther VPN in Windows PC:
- Visit SoftEther download page
- In "Select Software" drop-down, you will notice SoftEther VPN (Freeware) is already selected
- Choose "SoftEther VPN Client" for "Select Component"
- From "Select Platform" option, chose your desired platform. We will chose Windows for this guide
- Your CPU type is automatically chosen for "Select CPU" (and presented with a list of download files with file size in MB, release date, languages and OS versions)
- Click on the topmost blue link (which is the latest version)
- Double click on the downloaded file then on "Next"
- On "Select software components to install" screen, chose "SoftEther VPN client"
- After successful installation, open the "SoftEther VPN Client Manager" and double click on "VPN Gate public VPN Relay Servers"
- You will see a list of servers currently online. Click on any one of them and hit "Connect to the Server" button
- In the next screen, click on "Agree". For "Select VPN protocol to Connect" screen (if presented), just chose the recommended option which is "Use TCP protocol" and hit OK
- You will see "Connected" under "Status" field in the SoftEther VPN client Manager screen. Enjoy unrestricted internet.
- You can disconnect from the VPN connection by clicking on the "Connect" located at the top left of the client manager screen.
How to install & use SoftEther VPN in Android:
- Click on Settings
- Click on More Networks
- Click on VPN option
- Click on the + icon
- You will get an "Add VPN" screen. Enter your VPN Name in the "Name" field. For "Type", Chose L2TP/IPSec PSK option.
- Visit VPN Gate https://www.vpngate.net/en/ page. Scroll down a bit. You will see a table of servers. Copy the IP address of one of the servers which also supports L2TP/IPSec (a green tick mark under L2TP/IPSec field) and paste it into the "Server address" field.
- Leave other fields as it is. Finally enter "vpn" in "IPSec pre-shared key" field and hit Save
- Now you will see the name of your freshly created VPN. Click on it. Enter "vpn" in the username field and also "vpn" in password field. Then click on the "Connect" button.
- Now when you click on the name of the VPN, you will see a screen which displays "Connected to VPN" with other stats. After some time, your VPN connection will be ready to use.
- You will also see a "Disconnect" button clicking on which will disconnect from the VPN.
Psiphon is the only unlimited free VPN in this list which has given us a stable VPN connection almost always. It is also the easiest to use in this list. Just download and open the downloaded file. Yes, you even do not need to install or click on any "Connect" button, let alone set up. It will automatically attempt to connect.
Features of Psiphon:
- Opens ads in a new browser window every time you connect to it
- Only paid version (Psiphon Pro) with free trial available for Android
- Toronto based company providing service for more than three million people every week since 2006
- No sign-up or email required to use the VPN
How to use Psiphon in Windows:
- Visit Psiphon download page
- Download an appropriate version of Psiphon (Psiphon for Windows for the purpose of this guide). You can also request the download file via email (email@example.com) if for any reason, you can not download the file
- Open the downloaded file. Psiphon will automatically attempt to connect to the server (you will see "Psiphon is Connecting" text). If you want another location, just click on stop or Disconnect, choose the server region of your choice then click on "Connect" again.
- After successful connection, you will see a "Psiphon is Connected" text
- To disconnect from the VPN, just click on the red button which says "Disconnect from Psiphon" button
3. Proton VPN
Proton VPN is the only unlimited VPN in this list where you need to sign up with your email to create a free account to use it for free. While the app GUI is good and easy to use, we have found that the speed varies from good to not-that-good at times. Other than this there is no issues we have encountered so far. Also, despite the app showing three countries as server locations, there are multiple servers inside each country.
Features of Proton VPN:
- Available for Android, Windows, android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, Chromebook
- A Swiss VPN (company is based in Geneva)
- Good for privacy with no logs policy
- Single VPN connection in the free plan
- No ads are displayed in the app or on their websites
How to install & use proton VPN for Windows:
- Visit Proton VPN sign-up page and click on "Get Free" button under "Select a Plan"
- Fill up the username, password and email address. Then hit "Create Account" button
- Click on "Downloads" after you reach Dashboard. Then click on "Download" button under your desired platform (for example click under Windows logo if you want it for Windows)
- Double click on the downloaded file to install
- Open the installed app and login using the username and password. You will see a red "DISCONNECTED" text in the top middle of the app screen
- Click on the "Quick Connect" button at the top left of the screen. After a while, you will see a white coloured "CONNECTED" text at the centre top of the screen which indicates a successful connection to the VPN server.
- Click on the "Disconnect" button to disconnect from the VPN. The process is similar for Android where you have to search for "proton vpn" in Google play store, install the app and then login with the same credentials as created in above steps for Windows.
4. Urban VPN
While we have noticed "failure to connect" a few times, Urban VPN has a smooth operation once it is connected. Installing and using this VPN is also easy. One thing you will notice with Urban is that it does not have a minimize functionality. But it should not be a major problem especially when this free VPN has a larger number of server locations than Psiphon in Windows version.
Features of Urban VPN:
- Available for Windows, android, iOS, MacOS and as a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge
- You won`t get unlimited free VPN service in Android version
- You can connect any number of devices
- 49 server locations to chose in Windows version
How to install & use Urban VPN In Windows:
- Download the app from Urban VPN download page
- Install by double clicking on the downloaded file
- Open the app and choose from the available server locations and click on the big play button with a white triangle or just double click on a server location of your choice.
- You will see "Current Status: Connected" text along with the server location name and time elapsed from the time the connection was established.
- To disconnect from the vpn, just click on the white square button in red circle background located in the middle of the app screen.
5. Outline VPN
One of the first thing we noted with Outline VPN is that it would give us unexpected errors while connecting with the server or would not connect at all. Secondly, it takes forever to connect over this VPN for the TOR browser. But it is easy to setup and the speed is fairly OK. This VPN is developed by a company called Jigsaw, which is a company created by Google.
Features of Outline VPN:
- Supports Android, Windows, iOS, Mac OS and Chrome
- Auto connects to the server in next restart if the VPN is not disconnected
- Uses proprietary Shadowsocks VPN protocol
- They claim to not collect your personal information
How to use Outline VPN in Windows:
- Go to the Outline VPN download page and click on "GET OUTLINE CLIENT" button near the bottom of the page (You can also use this Amazon AWS link to easily download and copy the access code)
- Then visit the VPN book website, scroll down a bit and click on Outline VPN link near the bottom of the page, then copy the server address (in red coloured text starting with "ss").
- Now install the downloaded file and open the app after installation. If you have copied the server address in the previous step, it will automatically be pasted in the app as the server address with "Access Key Detected" message. You need to confirm that you want to add this server. To do this just click on the "Add Server" button
- Now click on the green coloured "Connect" button at the bottom right of the app screen
- After some time, the grey circle in the centre of the screen turns green when successfully connected.
- You can click on the Disconnect button to disconnect from the VPN. Installation steps for Android are same except that you have to search for "outline vpn" in the Google play store and install the app.
6. Windows Built-in VPN
We recommend you to not use random server for this VPN connection. This is because, these servers are taken down after a few days and when this happens, you will get an error while attempting to establish a VPN connection. You can use MS-SSTP server from VPN Gate for a reliable connection.
Features of Microsoft Windows Built-in VPN:
- Platform supported include Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
- Best for older devices or less powerful devices where security and privacy is not a prime concern
- No need to install third party apps or software
- Protocol developed by Microsoft itself
How to use Windows Built-in VPN:
- In your desktop PC or laptop, search for VPN settings and click on it. You will reach the VPN settings screen
- Click on "Add a VPN connection" (+ icon). You will see a VPN connection form
- Select "Windows (built-in)" for VPN provider and enter any name for your VPN connection
- Now browse VPN Gate page and scroll down a bit. You will see a table of servers.
- Copy the SSTP-Hostname of a server (for windows Vista, 7, 8 and RT) and hostmane or IP Address (for Windows 10) from the table where you see a green tick mark under MS-SSTP field and paste it into the field of the form with "Server name or address"
- For "VPN Type", leave the default i.e. "Automatic" as selected
- For "Type of sign-in info", leave the default i.e. "User name and password" then click on "Save"
- Click on the name of the VPN you just created and click on "Connect" button. If it prompts a windows to enter your sign-in info, enter "vpn" as username and "vpn" for the password. Then hit OK.
- You will see a Connected status Just alongside your VPN name which confirms a successful connection to the VPN server
- To disconnect from the VPN, just click on the name of the VPN and then on the "Disconnect" button.
7. VeePN VPN
This is a good option for those of you looking for a free unlimited VPN for Chrome browser which means it only works with the internet traffic sent and received with Chrome browser. If you are using any other apps which runs outside of Chrome, this traffic will not pass through this VPN. Also note that the traffic originating from incognito mode in Chrome also does not pass through this VPN.
Features of VeePN VPN:
- Free VPN server in 6 countries with multiple server locations for Singapore and USA
- No WebRTC leak
- Simple and easier to install and use
How to install and use VeePN VPN in Chrome browser:
- Open the VeePN VPN extension link for Chrome
- Click on blue "Add to Chrome" button located at the top right of the page
- You will be prompted with a window which asks you if you want to "Add Free VPN for Chrome - VPN Proxy VeePN?". Click on "Add extension" button.
- The top-right blue button will show the status as "checking..." while the extension is being added to your browser. You will see a "Thank you for installing VeePN" screen after successful installation of the app.
- Now click on the "Extension" button on the top right of the browser just after the address bar then click on the link where it says "Free VPN for Chrome - VPN pro..."
- A new windows will appear. Click on "Continue" at the bottom left of the screen. Then click on "Start".
- Click on the start button. The button will turn green with a "VPN is ON" text displayed beneath it.
- To disconnect the VPN, simply click on the same button you clicked to start the connection.
As you have seen for yourself in this article, we have discussed about 7 different unlimited free VPN options available at the moment for you to make your browsing private or for accessing restricted web pages. The only thing you need to be careful about is that being free and unlimited, each of these VPNs have some limitations such as speed limitations, ads displayed in apps, number of devices you can connect and choice of server locations. If you have no problem with these disadvantages, they work great.
From the above list, you can chose a VPN according to what your requirement is and what you do not want to have. For example, if you do not want to sign up, then you can chose from any of the six remaining VPNs except Proton VPN. Similarly, if you only need a VPN for browsing websites, then VeePN would do it for you. And if you do not want to install a third party apps in your device you have Built-in VPN for Windows or SoftEther VPN for Android.
Its you who knows what you are looking for in a VPN. Talking about ourselves, we look for non-signup based VPN with highly secure VPN protocol having at the least medium speed. We also like the VPN provider to be a reputed organization. Based on our experience, we also recommend you to try these VPNs for yourself and stick with one that you think is optimum for speed and security.
Is there any VPN that is free and unlimited?
Yes. We have just covered seven of the VPNs which are both unlimited and free. These are possible mainly due to the volunteers involved in running the servers, with the help of ads displayed on the app, contribution from premium subscribers or with the help of donation from its users.